Friday, July 18, 2008

Bedroom Set Up

How do you do bedroom set-up? Do kids share a room? Ideally, would you hope for each kid to have their own bedroom? If so, at what age do you think it’s most important?

Currently, 4 yo and 2 yo share a room. It’s technically the master bedroom of the house, so it’s a bigger room. Their toys are in there with them, and it serves as a sleeping place and a play room. These two have always shared a room. We have 8 mo in her own room because, until recently, she was up several times in the night, and we didn’t want her waking up the other two. Also, she naps a couple times throughout the day, and we didn’t want her to keep the kids from the playroom.

We know at some point we’ll switch so that 2 yo has his own room and 8 mo will share with 4yo. But we’re not sure at what age that’s important for boys and girls to be in separate rooms. Right now, at bedtime, 4yo and 2yo read together. Kinda tough to break that up! Also, we haven’t thought about it or discussed it yet, but I don’t know if at some point it’ll be important to give each girl her own room. They’re 3 ½ years apart in age, and I’m guessing 4 yo will eventually want privacy. Do you think that’s really important, or should they learn to live with a shared room scenario?

6 comments:

Hilton Baby Blog said...

My baby sleeps in the closet..he he
Haven't had to think about this yet, I'm just excited to finally get a room for him.
Tanja

Melissa G said...

More of a perspective from growing up with six kids in the house...I am a firm believer that all children should have to share a room. I think giving each kid his/her own room is for the birds. You learn how to share, how to be accountable as you get older (you aren't going to do something you don't want mom & dad to know about when you share a room!), and you just learn how to live with people! I don't think children *need* privacy. Sure, some quiet time in their room is good, but privacy just for privacy's sake does not rate high with me. In my humble opinion, being alone & able to "hide" things from people only gets you into trouble.

I don't know what I will do if I have a boy and a girl (although, I doubt we'll be stopping there)...I don't think it's right for them to share as they get older, but I know when I was even 12-13 years old, with the house we lived in, we did have boys & girls in one room at one time. We certainly aren't dramatized because of it.

Bottom line: I think it's important for children to share their rooms. ;)

Anonymous said...

For right now this is an easy question since we only have one child and 2 bedrooms. I think that as we add to our family, I would like for each child to have their own room. That probably comes from the fact that as a kid, I always had my own room that was too small to share anyway. Of course that would mean having to move from our current home which is much too small for us anyway!

Momma Basel said...

Tanja -- How nice that babies don't really need a whole lot of sleeping space! Do you have plans for how to decorate his room when he gets one?

Melissa -- I didn't realize you have so many siblings. What fun! That's kind of what I was thinking when it came to bedroom setup, but it really helps to hear a real life experience.

Tonya -- Sounds like your house is going to have to have quite a few rooms to house all of your husband's wildlife! :)

Anonymous said...

You're right Karen!! In our case the kids will be sharing their rooms with deer, elk, bears, lions...yikes!

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with Mel....I think that the experience of sharing a room is invaluable to kids. I never did growing up, we always had our own, and we are NOT close as siblinbs (there are 8 of us in a blended family) and we don't get along very well in general. The ones that do get along the best are the ones that had to share rooms.....coincidence? Maybe, but I still think it's important.

Our girl and boy shared a room out of necessity until we moved into a bigger house, then we had another boy, so now the boys share and Charlie has her own room for now. If we have another girl though, she will definatley share, and potentially even if we have another boy, at least until she's 5 or 6.

We do not have toys in their rooms. We have a living room for that, and even though it's also our "adult" living room, there is a space for toys. Bedrooms are for sleeping, and quiet time. They can take books in their room as much as they want, and can take toys in to play during the day (as long as no one is sleeping in there) but we don't keep the toys in there. It's too much of a temptation at bedtime to get out of bed and play and also, by having the toys in a general area, we promote sharing and avoid "it's mine!". For special things or things that are "just theirs" we do allow them to keep them in a bedroom, as of course, not all toys are to be shared.