Thursday, July 24, 2008

Character

What are some of the most important traits you hope to develop in your children? How are you going about accomplishing that?

Oh good grief! These are some huge questions. Who came up with these anyway?!?

I guess this question really comes down to how you handle character training. I’m starting to realize that the quickest, easiest way to teach the kids how to do something is to do it with them. And I’m also seeing that the quickest, easiest way to teach the kids how to be or act is to be that way myself. Yikes! It’s so intimidating to think about it, however true it may be.

So, let’s see…the most important traits…hmm…well, the Bible touches on this a little bit, so…all those traits in the Bible. That’s what I want for my kids. :)

Okay, so on a day-to-day basis, the biggest things I’m currently working on is sharing and giving. But it’s not any intense training I’m putting the kids through. We just go through the mantra, “If there are kids at the library, we … ?” 4 yr and 2 yr shout out “SHARE!” Same thing for if friends come to our house. “When our friends come over, we … ?” “SHARE!” “While we’re in the nursery and class, we … ?” “SHARE!” I’m hoping that maybe this is a step in direction toward developing selflessness. What do you think?

(Last night while the kids were playing with the train set up at a Barnes ‘n Noble, I overheard 4 yo remind 2 yo, “You need to share and that’s what you did when you let that girl have your train.”)

The giving thing may not be anything major. We’ve bundled up a couple packages/gifts for long-distance families. The kids have gotten excited about it and talk about the process of making cookies, coloring pictures, packing up the box, etc. While gift-giving may not necessarily be a character trait, I like that there’s joy in the giving. We also sponsor a Dalit child, and we talk about giving money each month to help her out. I’m not sure they get the overall concept, but they at least see her face and know there’s someone out there that needs help.

Help me out here. Am I on the right path? I know I could be doing more, but what? Is there any sort of curriculum / book / something that’s helped you with this?

2 comments:

Hilton Baby Blog said...

Karen you are doing a great job at this! your 2yo is so sweet with levi. In the nursery the other day he was feeding him his snacks when you could clearly see that he wanted some too. WHen I gave him some he was so excited! They are such agreeable kids I hope I do as well with my own. At what age did you start teaching them to share and give?
One trait I hope to teach levi is to be pacient and loving. We try to teach him "gentle" but he's such a boy and does everything with passion! HE grabs your nose instead of pointing to it and smacks your face instead of stroking it. WE correct him but it's so hard to know if he understand yet.
Have you ever heard of the book "training up your child" It addresses a lot of those kind issues. YOu can find it on amazon.com

Anonymous said...

Like you, we are working on all of those positive Biblical character traits! I'm sure you are doing a great job by setting a good example for your kids- because you can't expect them to do things that you yourself won't do- but I know you, I'm sure you're a good example!

Our biggest and most recent attempt at instilling these traits is having the kids memorize simple Bible verses. We type them up together and pick out pictures (we let the kids pick out the clip art so it helps them remember) that would represent the words of the verse since they can't read yet. We practice the verse and hang it on the fridge. There are 8 boxes on the sheet and when we see them doing what the verse says (or catch them doing positive things (talking nice, sharing, having a good attitude)) we give them a gold star. When they get all 8 stars they can chose alone time with mom or dad (reading a book together or taking a walk). Focusing on the positive and catching them doing the right thing (instead of always correcting the wrong things they do) has been an encouragement to them and a helpful reminder to me to focus on the good things they are already doing. And when we do that- we tend to see more of the good things! I'd be happy to email you a copy of our form if you let me know you want one. It also has other verses typed on the bottom for me to help remember I want to teach the kids and can bring up in conversation with them.