Thursday, July 24, 2008

Playtime

Do you keep your children busy with tasks and organized play throughout the day? Or do you let them play freely without guidance or restriction? What’s your reasoning behind that?

I always thought that kids should just play freely; that’s just what they do. You wake up, the kids go off and play while you clean and do whatever. However, over the past few months when I’d let my oldest two (4 and 2 ½) play while I went off to do chores, reading, or other things, more often than not there was screaming and pushing and crying. That made for long, frustrating days.

I read somewhere that some moms are always within close proximity to their children to be able to curb any potential problems before they really become problems. They literally keep their children within arm’s reach all day long. That seemed a bit much to me, but my way didn’t seem to make for a happy household, so I thought I’d give it a try.

It didn’t last very long. I think within the first hour, I realized that I didn’t have enough organized, planned things to do with the kids, and I didn’t want to follow them around like their shadows. Also, what if they want to do two separate things? Should I stick with the one and let the other one go free? There are probably good answers for these questions, and it might be a plan that works well for families. I decided to tweak this idea a bit, though.

My schedule/routine helps me a lot. I ask the kids to help me with chore time, and we have some play times together where I’m available (scheduled) to join in the play or I work on the room they’re playing in. Sometimes the kids are playing really well together and I don’t want to interrupt that! I just keep an ear on them while I’m cleaning or whatever. As soon as I start to hear the emotion of the play change, I head in (which in and of itself can resolve things). Other times, I implement table games – I either put the kids at separate locations (1 at dining room table, one at kitchen counter) or both at the table, depending on how they’re acting toward each other. I’ll give each of them a toy, book, doodle, project that they can work on at the table. This can last for up to 30 minutes, depending on the table game. Then we’re ready to go on to the next thing, whether it’s more chore time, playing together, lunch, etc.

Things have been a lot more peaceful around here. Yes, they’re still kids and siblings and so there will still be moments of trouble, but it’s been reduced some and that’s wonderful! I have to keep my mindset in check and remember to be available to them. I haven’t perfected my plan-of-attack, but it’s getting there. What do you do?

(Ooh! One more thought. I’ve noticed that I don’t hear the “I’m bored” comment as much anyway. Maybe having some organized/structured time has helped so that when they have free time, their toys are more appealing. Just a thought.)

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I think everyone lives better with a routine of some kind, especially kids, they seem to thrive on it! I've stuggled with this same problem since they were all very small, I always had a hard time keeping one occupied while I nursed the youngest etc...I think having planned activities is great, though I don't do it myself. I should though! My brother and I are 6 years apart and my husband and his brother are 5 years apart so we rarely did the 'he's touching me, she's looking at me' thing, which by the way is not just joke, they really do say those things! Anyway, I've often wondered how long do you let them bicker/fight when they are supposed to be playing together...til it gets physical, til they resolve it themselves or step in immediately. On the one hand I can see that kids need to work at resolving issues and conflicts their own way and not have me coming in to 'fix' everything all the time but on the other hand, I would really rather not let it get physical or to the point of a shouting match either.

To answer the first question about keeping them busy with tasks or letting them play on their own, I guess my answer is a little of both. For the summer we got them handwriting books and a couple other things that they needed to work on from school so that helps give them something to do when they don't want to go outside or when I've turned the TV off, they also use them when they are playing school. I play with them some, we do tea parties or play restaurant or whatever but most of the day they are playing together on their own, without me guiding them. So far this summer I've not gotten the 'I'm bored' comment but I have a feeling it's coming. We have a few play dates that we need to schedule but I haven't done it yet.

Anonymous said...

At our home we have plenty of free play time but I always try to have at least one or two things a day we do together that is more organized- like cooking, playing a game, doing an art project, etc. We also always take time (sometimes even an hour or two in the winter!)to read together. So when we aren't doing those thing the kids are playing on their own. I keep them in an eye and/or ear shot to make sure everything is going ok and they are safe.