Friday, July 18, 2008

Snacks

What are some snacks you like to keep around the house for the kids?

Yogurt Raisins. Pretzels. Apples. Chocolate Chip Cookies. (Though we try to keep the cookie consumption to a minimum.) Goldfish or other crackers. Freezie pops. (which today stained 2 yo’s fingers purple.)

Someone gave us a bag of something called “Pirate Booty” and the kids scarfed it down. It was popcorn-looking stuff, vegetable flavored even, and that didn’t slow them down one bit! The kids have asked for it ever since, though around here it’s hard to come by.

We think there’s a correlation between sugar intake and wildness/disobedience. Anyone else discover this? Another big thing we’ve wondered about is if there’s something in fruit snacks that makes kids go crazy. We’ve cut them out of our collection of snacks because 2 yo was almost out of control sometimes; he just seemed to be over-stimulated or something. It’s as if he couldn’t hear us. Or his ears received the message but his brain told him to do the opposite.

4 comments:

Meghan Theiss said...

Karen--your blog looks great!
On snacks, I'm sure I'm the weird one in the group! with all that i've learned with processed foods and how much they effect health, I really steer away from them when possible, despite the desparate pleas of my kids. Anything with artificial coloring, additives, etc. is omitted from my kitchen. we try to bake a lot of things together: muffins, cookies, bread, or any experiment, really.
We love fruit and the kids are great at eating veggies. We are all cheese fanatics, but the more authentic the better. Yogurt and smoothies are big snacks for us. Anyway, I would bet any little friends visiting would wonder why they were getting nuts for snack time instead of goldfish! What can I say, I'm a health-nut myself!
Meghan

Hilton Baby Blog said...

I try to keep a variety of snacks around. Yogurt, goldfish, cheese, nuts, fruit, carrots, pretzels, some cookies, although I also prefer my home made ones rather than store bought, and sometimes I bake banana bread or muffins. Since our 11 month old is somewhat limited in his food most of what I mentioned is for my husband and myself, but the baby does love his fruit and yogurt and cheese! I try to not have too much junk in the house. It's harder to resist it when it's within reach =0)

Anonymous said...

Goldfish are a staple item around here although I usually don’t offer them unless I know lunch or dinner is going to be late and Mac doesn’t ask for them at home. In the car is another story. She HAS to have her “fishies” and her water otherwise the drive is miserable. She doesn’t pig out on them but just likes the idea of them. Another snack thing we keep is whole wheat Ritz and cheese. Again, I don’t offer them unless a meal is going to be late. Mac just isn’t a snacker.

Anonymous said...

We also try to go with pretty healthy snacks around here- whole grain and less processing, homemade- We've had a lot of the snacks I see on other posts but I'll add two things I haven't read yet pumpkin seeds and peanut butter. We eat lots of peanut butter around here! Also I'll make my own granola bars. The kids are more likely to eat some of the "healthy" stuff if I can hide it in a homemade snack like that (wheat germ, ground flax seed, oats, raisins, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, etc). One of the kids' favorites is a banana with peanut butter and then raisins on top. We make our own popsicles with yogurt and fruit. And our all time favorite snack filled with lots of yummy healthy stuff...
http://www.fitness.com/recipes/27/protein_peanut_butter_balls.php

They're super easy to make up and great for the kids to help with. I usually make a half-batch. We have protein powder around because we lift weights, but you could use powdered milk with similar results. I can't tell you how addictive and good these are!