Saturday, July 19, 2008

Kid Questions

How in the world do you answer all their questions?! Seriously. Do you have resources? Do you ask them to stop asking questions after a certain number in a row?

This is where I’m needing your input. 4 yo always always always asks questions. And her questions are in-depth and cover any topic imaginable. Her theological questions have challenged me to dump my Christianese answers and get down to the basics of who God is and what He does for us. Her zoological questions have led me to google pictures of ticks and videos of yawning hippos. Her digestive system questions have led me to order a kids’ picture/info book about our bodies. Her definition questions have led me to look for a good kids’ dictionary.

I love her questions. I take it as a challenge to try to figure out how to describe words and systems. I sometimes get overwhelmed because there’s usually a barrage of at least 10-15 questions in a row. Her questions could be a great opportunity to teach her how to look up information. Does anyone have suggestions for good educational magazines, reference guides, anything?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate!! Often times I need to just tell my son (4) after finding a number of ways to explain something, "We'll just have to learn about this more when you get a little older." And for now that seems to satisfy. Sometimes my head spins from all of the conversation he would like to have with me. Sometimes I feel guilty for telling him, "It's time to take a break from talking now." but seriously, he talks CONSTANTLY! I don't want to ruin his curiousity or love to learn, but sometimes I need a break. Now I'm venting...as for your question about recommended resources, I don't have an answer. Often times I suggest we pick out a book at the library next time we go that might help find an answer and he is ALWAYS sure to remind me!

Meghan Theiss said...

I just want to tell you both, Karen and Amy, how amazing that is that your kids are so smart, so interested and so eager to learn. I can see where my 3 girls like to go play together, and they don't need me to talk to sometimes. I also know that I should get more one-on-one time with each of them so they are able to develop their own thoughts and questions.
Karen, do you think there is a slight possibility that your 4 yo got her inquisitive spirit from her mother? (note: # of questions in the July column to the right :)